CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

9.06.2009

Living for Another

I titled this blog what I did because I have, in the last few days, become strangely aware of the lengths that you will go for your children . . . even your unborn ones. I left you with the information that I had failed my first glucose test, and on Wednesday I went back for the three hour, which, I might add, is much worse than the 1 hour. This was a fasting test, so at 8 a.m., on an empty stomach, I had to drink the orange drink containing 100 grams of sugar in 10 minutes. This is enough to make anyone vomit, but the lady drawing my blood with the gold front tooth kept reminding me that if I didn't keep it down I would have to take the test again another day. So I tried my hardest and was successful at absorbing myself in my book for long enough for the feeling to pass. I had blood draws at the beginning, after 1 hour, 2 hours, and 3 hours, and then stumbled off to find some food a.s.a.p.

I found out Thursday morning that I failed my second test which means I have Gestational Diabetes. If you know me well, you know that this was devestating news at first. I have been scared of not passing this test since the very beginning, but I kept telling myself that Registered Dietitians don't get Gestational Diabetes! I was utterly wrong. It is helpful knowing that I didn't necessarily bring this on in any shape or form - though I can contribute it to how crappy I have felt at certain times, such as after a bowl of ice cream.

Anyway, I am supposed to go in next week to the Diabetes Center and - most likely - meet with a dietitian (ironically). It will be good for me since it has been awhile since I've had to think about the basics of diabetes, though I have pulled out my information from college and have a pretty good grasp of my diet changes. It's amazing how things come back to you so quickly - especially when it's you that is the patient. It's also amazing, as I wrote at the beginning of this post, what you will do for your child. In the past three days I have looked past blueberry scones (my favorite), Sister S. rolls, Dr. Pepper, and a variety of other deserts. I have counted everything I've eaten and recorded every detail. The willpower I never thought I had is there in full force, but only because it's not just me that is at stake here.

If you know me, you know I am a carb junky, a lover of all things chocolate, and one that never denies myself for the sake of a few calories. I am a dietitian that believes in moderation and portion control, but not deprivation.

Now that I've ranted enough about that: the nursery is almost finished! I don't want to post pictures just yet, but it looks beautiful. There are still finishing touches to be made and we only have just a few days to get the house ready for one of my showers that is being thrown at my house. I can't wait!

I will leave you with my 29 week picture:



John 3:16
"For God so loveth the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everylasting life."

No comments: