CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

6.16.2009

Things That Matter, Things That Don't

I was on the road today and am now laying in my hotel bed reflecting on all of my thoughts from today. I was driving to Mt. Home listening to the new Rascal Flatts CD when I heard a song entitled "Things That Matter." I was automatically blown away by the lyrics in the song and it made me think about all of my worries, frustrations, and anger towards certain things that I have yet to move on from. I had been thinking before the song came on about how hurtful some things in life are, and more specifically, how hurtful some people can be to you. I was thinking how crazy it is that you can have a long-term relationship with someone that ends badly and you can only remember the horrible things that person said and did to you, but not the positive. I was thinking about how powerful words and actions are, and how they stick with people. I was thinking how awfully hard it is to forget a negative word...or remember a positive one.

Then the song came on, and all of the thoughts that I was mulling around slipped away. I will share the first verse here:

Sometimes he lets that boss get in his head
He can’t see past that mountain of deadlines on his desk
5 o'clock he’s that last one out of the gate
And he gets cut off, flipped off, ticked off... out on the interstate
And he wonders why this world won’t leave him alone
Till he hears that little voice holler, “daddy’s home”
Things that matter...
Things that don’t.

This made me really think about my life and put it in perspective. I have been really stressed out about things revolving around the baby (childcare, Pediatricians, maternity leave, etc). I have really been struggling with things at work and wondering what God wants of me and what He is going to use me for in this world. I have been stressed about my actions and words, and the way I present myself to others . . . as well as being worried about job situations for my husband.

And then I thought, does it matter? We are told not to think about tomorrow and not to worry about what is to come . . . so why do I find myself contemplating all of these issues that are days, weeks, months away? Why do I not take more time to focus on the NOW . . . on the fact that I have a wonderful, loving husband, a very tough set of classes that I am learning so much from, and the wonderful feeling of feeling by baby kick inside me for the first time?

I am working on myself, which is a never ending process. I am trying to remind myself throughout the day what matters and what doesn't. In ten years, will I remember this day? Will I remember the ugly work e-mail from a co-worker? Will I remember how frustrating and tiring working full time is, or what a supposed "friend" said to me out of spite?

I don't have a lot of energy to say much else, but I urge you to think this thought throughout your day and see if it makes a difference to you.

Things that matter, things that don't.

Matthew 6:25-34
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

1 comment:

Nanna Nette said...

I like this post! It is so true, and life is too short to dwell on the negative. Thanks for your thoughts!