CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

1.19.2009

Across Many Mountains

I'd like to take a few minutes and tell a story of what is going on with one of my very dear friends. I will call her K.

K and I have known each other for awhile. In college, we were friends, but we were a little different. She has always been very strong in her faith and very great at showing it to other people. I, on the other hand, went through phases in college that I'm not proud of...needless to say, I didn't really "let my light shine" like I should have. Well, that is neither here nor there.

I get to see K once a month. She is a fellow dietitian like I am and I love getting to see her when I travel for work. About a year and a half ago, K and her boyfriend at the time became very serious. They had met while we were in college - he was an exchange student from Nigeria. Their personalities are so aligned. He is so strong in his faith as she is, and together, they will truly be followers of God. They truly love each other and together have an honest love for God and His teachings.

In the summer of 2007, K and her boyfriend took a trip to Africa to spend time with his family. It just so happens that he had been accepted into a doctorate program at Texas A & M and was needing to renew his Visa in order to finish his education. While in Africa, he proposed to K. They rejoiced with his family and enjoyed their time together.

When it came time for his interview to renew his Visa, the unthinkable happened - he was denied. Apparently, it was concluded that since he was engaged to an American woman, they believed that he would not return to Nigeria, which is not favorable to them. And so, K left Africa without him. Originally, their wedding plans were scheduled for December 2007.

It's been over a year and K is still here without him. Together, they have spent thousands of dollars in lawyer fees, filling out numerous applications, etc., in order to get him approved to come over. They are at the end of the process now. The Embassy has their application, and they are just waiting to hear back. However, each day holds a promise but so far has ended in disappointment.

I tell this story because every month when I see K, I am awakened by her spirit. God has obviously dealt her a very hard hand. I can't imagine being kept away from my fiance for over a year, waiting patiently and trying not to question God. But her faith is always so strong. She refuses to let sadness sweep over her (for the most part). Last month, K told me that her fiance almost died a few weeks ago. He was one of few that survived a very bad bus wreck, and his family believed that he was dead. God had other plans for him.

I just ask that everyone keep K and her fiance in their prayers. Although they are hopefully drawing this process to a close, it is still unsure. I just pray that soon I will hear the news that he is back in America and they are planning their wedding (which I assume will be very quickly planned!). I know that this process has really worn on them - however, you would never be able to tell by talking with K. She is someone that I greatly admire, and even though she may not know it, watching her go through this and watching her continue loving and having faith in God has strengthened my own faith immeasurably.

Hebrews 11:1
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

No comments: